• Olive oil, for skillet
• 1/4 cup finely diced onion
• 4 cups chopped kale, center stem removed
• 1/4 cup heavy cream
• 2 cups cubed (1/2-inch) cornbread (scroll below for the recipe )
• 4 organic eggs
• Salt and freshly ground pepper
PREHEAT OVEN to 375˚F
1. Warm a hefty drizzle of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onion and sauté until softened and beginning to turn golden. Add kale to the skillet and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Remove skillet from heat and stir the heavy cream into the kale mixture. Add about 5 to 6 drops (more or less depending on the amount of heat you want) of Tabasco. Fold in the cubed cornbread.
3. Transfer mixture to two greased 6-inch baking dishes or one larger baking dish. Using the back of a spoon, press wells into the kale mixture and fill with the cracked eggs.
4. Place baking dishes on a sheet pan and transfer to middle rack of oven. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until the eggs are just set and yolks still runny. Sprinkle eggs with a little salt and a grinding of pepper. Serve immediately.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8 inch square pan.
- Melt butter in large skillet. Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Quickly add eggs and beat until well blended. Combine buttermilk with baking soda and stir into mixture in pan. Stir in cornmeal, flour, and salt until well blended and few lumps remain. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.