A few notes:
- Advance preparation: The banana cream custard filling can be prepared up to a day in advance. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface and refrigerate. The cupcake can be prepared up to two days in advance and refrigerated in tightly sealed container.
- The frosting can be prepared up to five days in advance and kept refrigerated. Bring the frosting to room temperature and beat for two minutes for frosting consistency.
- The chocolate sauce can be prepared up to a week in advance and reheated in the microwave to dipping consistency. Place chocolate in a shallow bowl for easy dipping and work near a microwave to reheat as needed.
- I used a large, round tip for the first frosting layer for an easy chocolate dipping and nonpareil rimming. For the remaining frosting I used a large, closed, star tip.
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup banana puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ bananas
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup corn starch
- ½ cup sugar, plus 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- ¼ kosher salt
- 5 large egg whites
- 11/2 cup sugar
- 4 sticks unsalted butter, diced and softened
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanillas extract
• 2/3 cups dark chocolate
• 2 tablespoons heavy cream
• 4 tablespoons powdered sugar, sifted
• 5-8 tablespoons water, warm
1. In a bowl, add both flours and whisk to combine; set aside. In another bowl cream the butter on medium speed until smooth. Gradually add the sugar and beat until fluffy, about three minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition; set aside. In another bowl add milk, banana puree, and vanilla extract whisking to combine.
2. Add the dry ingredients in three parts, alternating with the milk, banana and vanilla mixture. With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated but do not over-beat. Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the batter in the bowl to make sure the ingredients are well combined. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a cake tester (toothpick) inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean. Cool the cupcakes in tins for 15 minutes. Remove from the tins and cool completely on a wire rack before icing.
Banana Cream Custard Filling:
1. Place all ingredients in a food processor bowl or blender and process to combine. Pour mixture into a saucepan over a medium heat and cook until mixture starts to bubble, making sure to constantly whisk. Continue to cook the mixture until it thickens, about 5-7 minutes, or until it coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and let it cool slightly.
Classic Vanilla Buttercream Frosting:
1. Combine egg whites and sugar in a bowl placed over simmering water. Bring mixture to 150 degrees F while whisking constantly.
2. Transfer mixture to stand mixer bowl, fitted with a whisk attachment and beat on medium speed until mixture cools and doubles in volume.
3. Add butter one piece at a time, mixing to incorporate after each addition. Add salt and vanilla and mix to combine. The frosting may appear to look separated, keep mixing and and it will come together (this commonly happens when making Swiss Meringue Buttercream.)
Chocolate Dipping Sauce:
1. Place chocolate and heavy cream in a bowl over simmering water. Let chocolate and cream sit for 2-3 minutes to melt without stirring. Then slowly stir mixture to combine. Add powdered sugar and mix to combine. Add water one tablespoon at a time, mixing after each addition until pouring consistency is reached. Set aside and let sauce cool to warm.
1. To stuff the cupcakes: Create a well in the center of the cupcake using either apple corer, the large end of cupcake tip, or hand-carve a well using a paring knife. Fill well with banana cream custard filling.
2. To frost the cupcakes: Fill a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip and start piping from the outside working in to the center to create one even layer. Freeze cupcakes for 20 minutes before dipping in warm chocolate sauce, so that the buttercream frosting does not melt. Remove cupcakes and dip in warm chocolate sauce, and then rim with nonpareils. Return cupcakes to freezer for five minutes for chocolate to set. Remove from freezer and finish piping frosting on top and garnish with a Maraschino cherry.